Monday, January 9, 2012

Lime Chutney Poem










Cut twenty-five limes into quarters half way through ;  stuff them with salt, and dry them for three days in the sun, bringing them in at sunset.  Give them a good shake each time before putting them out in the morning.  Mince small the dried limes.  Pound in good vinegar twenty-five dried dates, fifteen large dry red chillies, three whole peeled garlics, and one ounce of green ginger.  Mix all together and sweeten with sugar, first adding to it the strained juice of twenty-five limes.


It will be ready in a week.


     A cool oven will do in place of the sun.








From:  Twenty-Two Authentic Banquets From India (compiled by Robert Christie).  New York, Dover Publications, Inc., 1975.  (An unabridged and unaltered republication of the Indian and Afghanistani sections of Banquets of the Nations, published by J. and J. Gray and Co, St. James Press, 1911.)


4 comments:

  1. You have no idea how happy I feel reading this post.
    No ovens can match the sunshine Curtis, I assure you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I was thinking of you when my eyes found this recipe, which was so evocative and charming that I just had to highlight it. I will definitely prepare lime chutney this way also. Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fascinating recipe and looks artistic in all stages of the preparation. I am sue children would love to be a part of the process too.
    I love your blog, thank you
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, Thanks very very much. I agree -- it looks great. I picked up the Dover paperback years ago and it's filled with fascinating recipes and lore. In the time-honored way of cookbooks, all recipes are guaranteed to come out well. I'm so pleased you visited. As you can see, I try to keep things varied, but there will be more like this. Gray day here in Philly. Rainy, cold, but not snowing, so I'm not complaining. Curtis

    ReplyDelete