Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I Must Be Portuguese







“The Portuguese never put anything behind them except a chair to eat lunch.” 

― Robert Wilson, A Small Death in Lisbon 



Illustration:  A Portuguese side chair with embossed leather seat, Third quarter of the 18th century.  The scene embossed on the seat is composed of a border of diaperwork and floral decoration surrounding an elaborate rocaille motif. Within the design a blindfolded cupid points his arrow at a winged and flaming heart with an eye at its center, possibly representing the Eye of Providence.  The flaming heart signifies extreme ardour or religious fervor, and is an attribute of St. Anthony of Padua (also known as Anthony of Lisbon).










Misia: Lagrima (Link)

2 comments:

  1. I think we all must be Portuguese to one degree or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking of adding a piece of Portuguese fado music to accompany this. I need to find the right example. Curtis

    ReplyDelete