Friday, April 4, 2014

AFTER GETTING DRUNK BECOMING SOBER IN THE NIGHT





Our party scattered at yellow dusk and I came home to bed;
I woke at midnight and went for a walk, leaning heavily
      on a friend.
As I lay on a pillow my vinous complexion soothed by
     sleep, grew sober;
In front of the tower the ocean moon accompanying the
     tide had risen.
The swallows, about to return to the beams, went back to
     roost again.
The candle at my window, just going out, suddenly revived
     its light.
All the time till dawn came, still my thoughts were muddled;
And in my ears something sounded like the music of flutes
     and strings.

 -- Po Chü-I (772-846)
trans. Arthur Waley 





The Move: Chinatown (Link)

Painting: Qian Xuan (1235-1305): Helping the Drunken Man
 

No comments:

Post a Comment