Saturday, July 5, 2014

NEEDING/GETTING





I've been waiting for months
Waiting for years
Waiting for you to change.
Aw, but there ain't much that's
dumber
There ain't much that's dumber
Than
pinning your hopes
On a change in another.
And I, yeah
I still need you
But what good's that gonna do?
Needing is one thing, and Getting’s another.

So I been sitting around, wasting my time,
Wondering what you been doing.
Aw, and it ain't real
forgiving,
It ain't real forgiving
Sitting here picturing someone else living.
     Needing is one thing, and Getting’s 
                         another.




OK Go: Needing/Getting (Link)

Note This is an overdue tribute to the great Delphine Seyrig (1932-1990), who has sparked my imagination ever since I first saw her image and performance in Last Year At Marienbad, an all-time memory-haunter on every level.  The two stills here are taken from Daughters Of Darkness, an overlooked vampire classic I’m certain I’d like to see again, which passed through the Central Theater, Cedarhurst quickly during my college years, but not as quickly through me.  

The inevitable, eternal "how does it feel?" question can be answered inevitably, eternally (at least tonight) with "I don't know; I haven't the slightest idea; Not so hot, possibly. Situation hazy. Ask me later."  

By the time I saw Daughters of Darkness, I knew the basic facts of Delphine’s biography, about her marriage to the fine American painter Jack Youngerman, about Pull My Daisy and her relationship to the Beats and the Abstract Expressionist artists who lived in the Coenties and Peck Slip district in downtown Manhattan before Herman Melville’s aura and vibrations gave way to South Street Seaport’s junky, concession-ridden outside-of- time-and-weather present.   

As for Last Year At Marienbad, it would be terrific  and justified if movies could be designated as official "wonders of the world."  Needing is one thing, however, and getting’s another.

No comments:

Post a Comment